Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Sweet Potato, Spinach & Chorizo Salad - Quick & Easy # 1


Sweet Potato Spinach & Chorizo Salad 1, edited

This is the first in a series of quick and easy meal ideas that I plan to bring to you - not strict recipes, as such, but more a suggestion of ingredients you can put together in whatever quantities or proportions suits your palate, your pantry or your wallet. Things that don't rely on precise quantities, that will serve more as a springboard for you to tweek and put your own spin on.

Now, if you've been following this blog for a while, then you know that one of my great loves is the "big bowl" salad - a salad which is substantial and which serves as a meal rather than a side dish.  You might be interested in this earlier post, in which I talk about what I consider to be the essential elements of a good salad.  The "framework" if you like that enables you to build great salads out of whatever takes your fancy.

It being winter here right now, this certainly isn't the time for light and leafy salads;  something altogether more substantial is called for, and I often like some "warm" ingredients in my winter salads.

So for this salad you will need:  some day-old bread - cut into chunks (I used ciabatta);  chorizo sausage - thinly sliced;  olives (I used a mixture of green and black);  sweet potato (I used an orange fleshed one) - cut into cubes;  spinach;  olive oil;  balsamic vinegar;  maple syrup;  and salt and pepper.

Begin by heating a little olive oil in a skillet over high heat, then toss the bread chunks in the hot oil and fry until the bread has soaked up all the oil and is golden brown on all sides and crispy.  Remove bread from pan, put into your salad serving bowl, sprinkle over some flakey sea salt, and toss well.

Return the pan to the heat and now fry the chorizo.  If necessary you could add a little more olive oil to the pan, but bear in mind that the chorizo will render quite a bit of fat of its own.  Keep tossing the chorizo around in the pan until it is nice and brown on both sides, and when it is nearly done add the olives to the pan for the last couple of minutes to warm through.  Then tip the entire contents of the pan, including all the pan juices, over the bread in the salad bowl.  Toss everything together well.
 
Sweet Potato Spinach & Chorizo Salad 5, edited

Add a little more oil to the skillet, and return pan to heat. Once the oil is hot, add the cubed sweet potato to the oil, sprinkle over some flakey sea salt and cracked black pepper, and toss from time to time, until the sweet potato is fork tender and golden brown all over.

Sweet Potato Spinach & Chorizo Salad 4, edited

At this stage, pour a generous drizzle of balsamic vinegar into the pan to deglaze, and then add some maple syrup. Allow everything to bubble up around the sweet potato, and keep tossing it around until all the pieces are well glazed. Then tip the entire contents of the pan over the other ingredients already in the salad bowl.

Sweet Potato Spinach & Chorizo Salad 3, edited

Now add some spinach leaves to the bowl, sprinkle with a little more flakey sea salt, and toss everthing together well. The spinach leaves should end up lightly coated with all the olive oil, chorizo fat, balsamic and maple syrup that you cooked the other ingredients in, but if you feel it needs a little more dressing, then drizzle over a little more olive oil or balsamic vinegar. Season to taste.

Sweet Potato Spinach & Chorizo Salad 2, edited

Click here for a printable copy.
I'm also submitting this post to the Two for Tuesdays blog hop.

14 comments:

  1. Hi... I'm the newest follower to your great blog. Super photos by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this sounds so tasty! Anything with sweet potatoes (and chorizo) is good by me ;) YUMMY! Thank you for sharing it with Two for Tuesdays this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing. I love chorizo and its spiciness and the carmelized sweet potato combo makes it even better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SusieQ this is awesome! I adore the big bowl salad as well and you guessed it, this is going on the Thoughts on friday blog hop highlights! The combo of Chorizo, the sweetness of the potatoes and adding in the bread is spectacular with the tangy olives. Very cool my love! Thanks for sharing this on the two for tuesday recipe blog hop! :) Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Moogie - thanks for stopping by and following, and for your lovely comments.

    Girlichef & Polwig - thanks for visiting - you're right the combo of chorizo and sweet potato is pretty unbeatable. I have done this before with pumpkin, which is great, but I think the sweet potato is even better.

    Hi Alex - gotta be a big bowl salad lover! I love using leftover bread in a salad - and when it's fried as well - who could not love that. Thanks for including me in your highlights again - that's very special to be in such good company.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just recently discovered the wonders of Romaine, Sausage and Roasted Potato Salad. Your version using spinach and sweet potatoes sounds fabulous! And perfect for dinner on a hot summer night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a good big bowl salad also. I recently made a mark bittman salad with kale and sweet potatoes. It could have used some chorizo though (but couldn't everything?). Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great winter salad - I forget they can be like this - yummy! Thanks for linking this to Two for Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a big chorizo fan, but I don't think I've ever put it together with sweet potatoes or squash. But it's such a natural pairing. I think I'll be trying this next month when I can get my hands on some butternut squash. Thanks for linking up with Two for Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this combination of the spicy chorizo and the sweet potato in this salad. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like a wonderful combination that I will for certain try!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Elizabeth - Romaine, sausage and roasted potato sounds like a great combo - thanks for the suggestion.

    Joanne - Oooh, I must check out that "Bitty" recipe and try kale and sweet potato, since we have plenty of both around at the moment.

    Christy - thanks for visiting - I love "heartier" salads in winter.

    Butterpoweredbike - Gotta love that chorizo - goes great with butternut squash - I like to put a bit of feta and some roasted pumpkin seeds in with that.

    Scrambledhenfruit & Debbi Does Dinner Healthy - Thanks for visiting. You're right - it sure is a great combo.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds yummy ! And I have all the ingredients at home so I will definitely try it. I love sweet potatoes and could eat them every day !
    Maja from Sitno Seckano

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maja - thanks for visiting. It is indeed very yummy - I hope you enjoy it.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you and your comments are like gold to me. Your comment will be visible as soon as it has been approved.