Monday, January 10, 2011

Make it with ..... Mondays # 2

Make it with ..... Mondays

Goodness, a whole week has now flashed past since "Make it with ..... Mondays" kicked off with our very first special ingredient - saffron.  Thank you so much to those of you have already participated, and just a reminder that the linky for joining your saffron posts is still open for another week (closing midday Monday 17 January - NZ time).  So keep those saffron recipes coming - remember that you can link up as many posts as you like (as long as saffron is one of the ingredients), and linking up old posts is fine too.

I've really enjoyed exploring this unique ingredient in some different ways, making a rich, moist Saffron Fruit-and-Nut Bread and a Saffron and Blueberry Champagne Jelly.  I had great hopes of trying a saffron ice cream as well, but didn't quite fit that into my week - still there's another whole week to go, so maybe I will get to that yet.

But for now it's time to turn our attention to this week's special ingredient .....

Vanilla

Vanilla

Vanilla is the flavouring derived from the fruit of a species of tropical orchid, called Vanilla planifolia, and is widely used in both domestic and commercial baking, as well as aromatherapy and perfume manufacture.  The plant grows as a vine and is native to Mexico, although it is now widely grown throughout the tropics, with Madagascar being the largest producer.  European traders discovered vanilla in the early 1500s;  however, any attempts to cultivate the vanilla plant outside of its native lands failed, because of the unique relationship between the vine and the native species of melipona bees which did not exist in the new growing countries.

In the 1841 a young French-owned slave, discovered a method of hand-pollinating the orchid flowers, which is the method still used in commercial operations today.  Each flower lasts only for one day (sometimes less), so plantations have to be inspected daily to look for open flowers, which are then pollinated by hand.  This of course is highly labour intensive, and naturally makes the crop expensive to produce - second only to saffron.

Once the flower has been pollinated, the seed pod begins to form and although it develops fairly quickly it takes about 10 months of maturing on the vine before it is ready for harvesting.  Each bean ripens in its own time, so harvesting is a daily selection process - as labour intensive as the pollination.  The best commercial value lies in each individual bean being hand picked at exactly the right moment.

After harvesting, the beans are then cured, dried and graded.  Grading is mostly on the basis of length (which also correlates to vanillan content).

When buying vanilla beans, look for beans which a moist, plump and pliable, and store them in an airtight container.  You can also readily buy vanilla extract, vanilla paste, vanilla powder, as well as vanilla essence (although this is inferior in quality and is often artificially manufactured).

So now it's time to get cooking - put your thinking cap on, get creative, and see what you can come up with.  Maybe you'll make a rich, luscious vanilla ice cream;  poach or roast some fruit in a thick, fragrant vanilla syrup;  bake a cake or some cookies;  have a go at making your own vanilla extract or vanilla sugar.  Or perhaps you'll go right outside the square - Joanne at Eats Well With Others recently made this Butternut Squash and Vanilla Risotto - looks wonderful and I definitely want to try this. Maybe there are other "unexpected" ways in which you could use this ingredient.  Can't wait to see what you come up with.

There are really only two rules for participating in this event:
  1. Your post must feature this week's ingredient.  If, however, over time you have found a good substitute when you come across this ingredient in recipes (maybe because you don't like it, or it's not readily available in your area, or someone in your family has an allergy to it), then, please tell us about it, show us what you use instead and explain to us why, and then of course link up - this is after all a learning experience and it's good to know about alternatives.
  2. Your blog post must link back to this post and mention "Make it with ..... Mondays"
That's it - create your post (or feel free to link up an old post if you have one that uses this week's ingredient);  multiple posts are welcome;  then scroll down to the bottom of this page where you will see a small box that says "You are next, click here to enter". Click on that link, and follow the simple instructions - please link directly to your post, not just your blog home page.

Want to join in but don't have a blog?  No problem - just email me your thoughts, ideas and recipes, and I'll include them in a round-up the following week.  To email me just go to the "Contact Me" button on my sidebar.

If you would like to use a badge in your post, simply copy the code in the box beneath the badge below and paste it into your post.  Feel free to also use it in your sidebar if you wish.

MakeItWithMondays


Lastly, don't forget my giveaway of a free copy of the How to Cook Everything iPhone application (full details here).  All comments here, or email contributions, automatically earn an entry, and every post linked also earns another entry.  If the post you link up also happens to be a Mark Bittman recipe, then you earn an extra entry.

Now go, get cooking .... what are you waiting for?!

Please link your posts for "Make it with ..... Mondays" challenge vanilla on this page.  The linky will be open until 11.59am Monday 24 January (NZT).

Please go to this page to link your posts for "Make it with ..... Mondays" challenge saffron.  The linky will be open until 11.59am Monday 17 January (NZT).

21 comments:

  1. Sue, I don't know if my post counts or not - it only calls for 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Feel free to remove it if you want!! This is a fun challenge, I'm off to find a recipe that calls for more vanilla, lol! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what I was looking for! The homemade ice cream in this pie calls for a full tablespoon of wonderful vanilla......this is a great ice cream - you can add so many different things to it (cookies, chocolate chips, etc.). Again, thanks for hosting Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brenda, thanks so much for linking both of these posts up to Making it with ... Mondays - I've bookmarked both of these as they are definitely on my "must-try" list. In fact, since it's afternoon tea time here at present I wouldn't mind a piece of that cake right now :-)
    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sue, I've just submitted a creamy vanilla blueberry swirl ice-cream, one of my older posts, and this is too delicious not to share! Thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. kitchen flavours - you are so right - that is too good not too share - can't wait to try it :-) Thanks so much for sharing it at Making it with ... Mondays.
    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry dear, missed your Saffron event! Thanks for visiting my blog. Vanilla, hmmmm! I think I might have something for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the shout out! Vanilla is a favorite ingredient of mine and I can't wait to see how everyone uses it in their recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Suzy Q! I love the smell of Vanilla in the house when I am cooking, but when I went back over my recipes, I have so few that were baking recipes! MOst of what I make is savory! I found this Bittman Chocolate Chunk recipe that was delicious! I am loving having a theme to the linky every week! Big hugs! Alex

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lizy - thanks so much for stopping by - can;t wait to see what you come up with :-)

    Hi Joanne - it's a pleasure.

    Hi Alex - I love the smell of vanilla wafting through the house too, and I have to admit that I have been know to dab a drop of vanilla extract behind my ears when I've had the bottle out - don't tell :-) Thanks for sharing your Chocolate Chunk cookies.

    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Am so glad to add in a couple of entries to this weeks Gorgeous Vanilla!
    Loved ur write up about Vanilla and those pics too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am wanting to participate and so...I added my link, although the ingredient of vanilla isn't a major quantity in the recipe. But it's GOOD vanilla, the Madagascar vanilla. Is that Ok?

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sue - I love the concept of Make It Mondays. Vanilla is such a fragrant and wonderful ingredient. I really enjoyed reading about the harvesting process. I never knew about the time frames, etc. I will keep vanilla in mind when I am cooking/baking this week. I'd love to join along.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mia - thank you so much for all your entries - I definitely have to try a few of those things - especially that vanilla extract, OMG. I so wish we had such easy access to those beautiful, moist vanilla pods - they're not always so good by the time we get them here. Thanks for sharing them all.

    Hi Tina Marie - thanks so much for joining in - your chocolate pie looks absolutely wonderful and it is more than just OK :-)

    Hi Kim - thanks for stopping by - oh yes, do please cook/bake something with this in mind - would love you to join in.

    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can remember my Mom telling me how important vanilla was as an ingredient in baking when I was a kid - I couldn't understand why something with chocolate in it needed vanilla, but now I know why!! Vanilla is one of my favourite ingredients and I always have a jar of vanilla sugar on hand as well. It's lovely stirred into warm milk as well as in baking.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just remembered that I had a non-dessert recipe that used vanilla so I immediately posted it.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. April - I always have a jar of vanilla sugar on the go too. Whenever I make a batch of ice cream, I wash and dry the used vanilla pod and add it to the jar. Thanks for sharing your wonderful marble cake.

    Dan - that noodle dish looks fantastic - really unusual with the vanilla, cinnamon and raisins - I can't wait to give this a try with some of my home-made ricotta :-) Thanks so much for sharing it.

    Sue :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What delicious recipes!! I'm late to the party but I'm glad I came (I brought some chocolate chip pancakes too :). Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  18. Miriam - thanks so much for joining in and sharing these delicious pancakes - chocolate & vanilla go so well together. I do hope you join in again.
    Sue :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. For better or not, here is my very vanilla rolls. This was an experiment and smells so good. How can cream and vanilla not taste good? See that's what I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Melynda what a wonderful experiment. Your vanilla rolls look wonderful and I love the idea of the cream and vanilla sauce.
    Sue :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you and your comments are like gold to me. Your comment will be visible as soon as it has been approved.