Sunday, June 29, 2014

Broad Bean Frittata

Broad Bean Frittata

This week at I Heart Cooking Clubs our theme is Mediterranean Magic.  Now I don't know what springs to mind for you when you think "Mediterranean magic", but I imagine that your vision is probably not too dissimilar from mine.  I picture places like this ...

Paros 47

... and food like this ...

Watermelon & Feta Salad 2

Instead, my reality this week has been winter woollies, root veggies and hearty soups, and a severe storm that left me spending several hours trying to mop up the flood.  In short, life this week (distance from the Mediterranean aside) has been about as unmagical as it could get.

So getting in the spirit of this theme has been a bit challenging.  I was pretty much going to forget about the theme, make a comforting bowl of soup and call it a day.  Until thumbing through Nigel Slater's Tender, Vol I, I came across his Broad Bean Frittata.  Eggs are great for a quick and simple meal when you're low on energy and enthusiasm.  Frittata is Italian, and therefore Mediterranean, and there is something about a perfectly cooked, golden frittata that evokes sunshine.  And even though broad beans at this time of year in my world come out of a freezer bag, they still make me think of summer.

Frittata is not one of those things that really needs a recipe and, to be honest I didn't even actually read Nigel's recipe.  I just read the title and ran with it in the same way that I usually make frittata.  This is what I did, for two generous servings.  This is delicious straight out of the pan - of course it is, but I also love it cold the next day with fresh ciabatta bread as a kind of frittata sandwich.

Broad Bean Frittata Recipe
Inspired by recipe from Nigel Slater
from Tender, Vol. I
Click here for a printable copy of this recipe

250g (9 oz) frozen broad beans
4x large free range eggs
very generous handful parsley, finely chopped
flaky sea salt & freshly ground pepper
2x large handfuls of parmesan, freshly grated
(feta would also be a great alternative)
large knob of butter

Bring a small pot of water to the boil.  Add broad beans to the water, return to the boil and cook for 1 minute.  Drain and refresh under cold water.  Remove and discard thick skins from the beans and set aside.

In a small bowl lightly whisk the eggs.  Add the parsley and season liberally with salt and pepper.  Add half the grated parmesan, and whisk just until everything is combined.  Stir in the broad beans.

Add butter to a 24 cm (9 inch) non-stick skillet and set over a medium heat.  Once butter is melted and sizzling, pour egg and bean mixture into the pan.  Turn heat down to low and cook until the eggs have thickened and set, the bottom is cooked and golden, and just the surface is still a little runny.

Sprinkle the rest of the parmesan over the surface.  Grind over a little more black pepper.  Remove pan from the heat and finish under the grill (broiler) in your oven, until puffed and lightly golden on top.  This will only take a few minutes.

Remove from the oven, slide the frittata out onto a board or serving platter, and cut into wedges to serve.

If you would like to get to know Nigel Slater a little better, and to see what everyone else has cooked up this week, then do go and visit my friends at I Heart Cooking Clubs and check out the links ...


... or check out Tender, Vol. 1 and Nigel's many other great titles available from Amazon USA, Amazon UK, or Fishpond NZ.

I'll also be sharing this post this week at See Ya In the Gumbo hosted by the delightful Michelle at Ms. enPlace, at Weekend Cooking hosted by Beth Fish Reads, and at Foodie Fridays hosted by Designs by Gollum.

See Ya in The Gumbo Badge     Weekend Cooking Badge     Foodie Friday Badge


17 comments:

  1. Ha, another broad bean recipe from Nigel Slater! I have a soft spot for broad beans, they sound like summer for me and we had some wonderful summer days even it's Kiel Week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a major soft spot for broad beans too, and I am more than a little bit jealous that you are able to be enjoying fresh ones right now.

      Delete
  2. Frittatas are such great vehicles for all sorts of veggie add-ins. I love broad beans and they certainly evoke thoughts of the Mediterranean for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Zosia. Frittatas are often a go-to meal from me, especially in summer, made with whatever is picked straight out of the garden.

      Delete
  3. Sorry about the awful week, Sue. An easy egg dish does always seem to hit the spot though. Especially one with some butter and cheese. That always makes me feel better.
    Wishing you a better, more magical week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind thoughts, Michelle. You're right - butter and cheese make just about anything better :-)

      Delete
  4. Sue - I am so sorry to hear about the flooding and all of the clean up. I certainly hope you didn't lose any belongings. Let's hope this coming week is fuss-free.

    Egg dishes are so welcoming and inviting. This dish is no exception, simple but so tasty and fulfilling and you are perfectly right. Just as good cold and served as a sandwich the next day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your thoughts, Kim. Thankfully nothing lost or damaged that can't be replaced - we just have all the disruption of having floors and ceilings ripped out and replaced to contend with at some stage. Can't say I'm looking forward to that.

      I sometimes think that is the best bit of making frittata, is the sandwich the next day.

      Delete
  5. Love love broad beans! The frittata looks delicious and packed full of nutrients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angie. It's certainly great to be able to come up with a nutritious meal that is so easy to put together.

      Delete
  6. Great theme for a winter month :-) Hope this week is a better one for you - flooding is awful. Dad's growing broad beans in his garden so I think I'll have to go visit and raid them and make this. Looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicola. Home grown broad beans are the best. I usually grow them at home too, and love when they're in season and I can pick big bowls full of them every day.

      Delete
  7. Looks yummy. I'm going to try this tomorrow for breakfast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope this week was better Sue--storms and flooding are just no fun at all!
    I love frittatas--so easy and soul satisfying. What a great idea to make a sandwich out of the leftovers too.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb. Definitely a better week this week - just have to tolerate living with all the debris and chaos for now until everything gets fixed.

      I'm pretty sure, Deb, that you would love a frittata sandwich :-)

      Delete
  9. I would imagine that eating Mediterranean would add a nice bright spot to the winter.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you and your comments are like gold to me. Your comment will be visible as soon as it has been approved.