Sunday, October 10, 2010

Lemony Peach Cake Recipe

Peach & Lemon Cake, cropped & edited

Okay, I realise that I may be in huge danger of losing my credibility here - I know that I told you, just a little over a week ago, in this post for Gabrielle's Sticky Lemon Bars, that I don't bake, and now here I am bringing you a cake.  So, just in case you are thinking that I have suddenly become an avid and frequent baker, let me set the record straight - I actually made this cake back in March and, great cake though it was, it got assigned a title and has been sitting around in my draft posts folder ever since.

Anyway, it's a cold Sunday afternoon here, perfect for settling down with a good coffee and a piece of cake (even if it is just a virtual one), and so I thought it was time to dust this one off and share it with you.  Seems like a good time to share a peach cake recipe too - since those of you in the northern hemisphere will probably just now be enjoying the very last of the season's peaches, while down here in the southern hemisphere stone fruit season is just around the corner.

This recipe is from the Donna Hay "Seasons" book, which was one of my favourite new cookbooks this year.  I love Donna's very simple, yet ever so stylish approach to food.  I love that the majority of her recipes use a very small number of ingredients, treated in a very uncomplicated way, relying on good quality, seasonal produce, and delivering great food that you don't have to spend hours preparing.  She epitomises for me the ethos that great food just doesn't have to be messed with and doesn't need to be complicated.

Seasons [Paperback]

(Available from Amazon and Fishpond NZ)

Just in case you think you need a few more reasons to get this book, go and check out my post some months ago in which I gave a brief review of the book and shared with you this recipe for Grilled Fig, Haloumi & Pomegranate Salad.

So, back to the cake.  Yes, I am definitely making this again as soon as peaches come into season here.  It is a very simple cake to make - perfect for someone who has my limited level of competence in the baking department.  It was light and moist;  I loved the "lemoniness" which seems to really lift the flavour of the peaches;  and, it's just perfect to finish a meal with, or enjoy with a coffee and a good friend (or a good book if you don't happen to have a friend)!


Lemony Peach Cake Recipe
Adapted from
Click here for a printable copy of this recipe

175g (6 oz) butter, softened
3/4 cup caster sugar
grated zest of 2 lemons
3 eggs, ideally free-range
1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder, sifted
1/4 cup natural yoghurt
3 peaches, sliced
icing sugar, to dust

Preheat oven to 160 degrees C (320 degrees F).

Lightly grease a 25cm round cake tin, and line with non-stick baking paper.

Put butter, sugar and lemon zest into food processor or bowl of an electric mixer, and beat until light and creamy.

Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Add flour, baking powder and yoghurt, and beat or pulse until just combined.

Spoon into the prepared baking tin, top with the sliced peaches, and bake for 1 hour or until a skewer tested in the middle of the cake comes out clean.

Cool for 10 minutes in the tin, then turn out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.  Dust the top with icing sugar, and serve with whipped cream or yoghurt.

Note:  I haven't tried it, but I'm sure this would be just as good made with nectarines, plums or cherries.

I'm submitting this post to Cookbook Sundays.  Why not go visit and see who else has dusted off their cookbooks - you'll almost certainly find some great recipes, and maybe you'll discover a new book you'd like to add to your collection.

cookbook sundays

I am also sharing this post with Sweet New Zealand, which is this month hosted by Mairi at Toast.  Do check out all the other sweet entries.
Sweet New Zealand Badge

17 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds wonderful! I am not a baker either but baking does tempt me here and there and even makes it to occasional posts - go with the flow :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, your delicious peach cake brings me right now in a Summer mood [not really the weather in Welly today...]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I truly hope you get over this aversion to baking, as this cake looks truly delicious! It makes me wish I could go back in time to the beginning of peach season and make it! Oh well, next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds wonderful. I love moist cakes! Stopping by from Brenda's. I'm your newest follower! ^..^

    ReplyDelete
  5. For not being a baker, your desserts sure look great!! I love the big slices of peach in this...it looks so rustic and comforting. Beautiful cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you just pretend you don't bake - this cake looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone for visiting and for such lovely comments. I do admit to starting to feel a bit more confident about baking, and I certainly feel a bit more excited about trying to do more - so, keep watching this space .... :-)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious! And I definitely agree, this is an amazing dessert for someone who isn't a baker! Chilly weekends are definitely the best baking inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. delicious cake
    never tried with lemon and peaches yummy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sue, this cake is GORGEOUS! What do you mean you don't bake!? It really looks delicious, you did a great job. I've been hearing more and more about Donna Hay recently. I saw a Donna Hay magazine a few weeks ago at Whole Foods at the checkout and I'm wishing now I had bought it as I haven't seen it anywhere else. Next time. Thanks so much for linking up to Cookbook Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so beautiful, I cannot wait to bake it! Thanks so much for posting, lemon is my favorite flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  12. baking.serendipity, Torviewtoronto, Brenda and Melynda - thank you all for visiting and for leaving such lovely comments.

    Brenda - hope you manage to get your hands on a Donna Hay magazine - they really are great.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is wonderful with mango instead of peach as well. I used a can of mangos with a few slices chopped up small and mixed through cake with other slices on top. Yum

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Anonymous - thanks so much for stopping by - I love your idea of using mango - sounds utterly delicious.
    Sue :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! Love this & love anything that is 'easy' baking not being anywhere near an expert myself. Thanks for the entry in to Sweet NZ :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sue I made this cake with slight modification posted it in my blog, thanks for the wonderful recipe! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you made this, and thanks for the reminder that I must make it again. Can't wait to check out your post :-)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you and your comments are like gold to me. Your comment will be visible as soon as it has been approved.