Saturday, May 31, 2014

Sweet New Zealand # 34 Round-up

Sweet New Zealand Badge

It has been my privilege to host Sweet New Zealand once again this month - a monthly blog event, created by the lovely Alessandra Zecchini, which offers an opportunity for all Kiwi bloggers (whether you are living in New Zealand or overseas), as well as for non-Kiwi bloggers living in New Zealand, to connect and share some of those sweet treats from your kitchen.  As always, we have some wonderful entries this month, and I have certainly enjoyed discovering and visiting all of your posts.  Thanks to all of you for participating.


Our first entry this month was from our founder, Alessandra Zecchini, who shared these Hazelnut & Vanilla Verrines with Quince Jelly, Figs & Cape Gooseberry.  This is quite possibly one of the most beautiful desserts I've ever seen and, as an added bonus, Alessandra also shared some uplifting photos of the beautiful Cardboard Cathedral in Christchurch.


Next up was my own entry for a Chocolate Beetroot Cake. This may not be the absolutely best chocolate cake you've ever eaten, because as everybody knows there are plenty of people out there who can bake a better cake than me. But this is hands down the best, most moist, dense, fudgy chocolate cake I've ever made, and it won't be the last time I make it either.


Feijoa season may be almost over, but there's still a bit of fruit around and if you've been wondering what to do with that over abundance then check out this gorgeous looking feijoa jam from Alessandra Zecchini which she says is just like guava paste.



Would you ever imagine that such decadent looking little morsels are in fact Healthy Vegan Cookies? Check out these gorgeous looking cookies from Arfi at HomeMadeS - seriously, if that's healthy, pass the plate my way!




And, since we're talking healthy, how about this Low Carb Baked Cheesecake with Chocolate Ganache from Libby at Ditch The Carbs.  This is a quick and simple, yet low carb version of a New York style baked cheesecake, and I'm loving the idea of the chocolate ganache topping.




This stunning gluten-free Baklava Cake came from "new to me" blog, My Persian Feast by Sanaz.  After getting kind of addicted to baklava when holidaying in Greece, I can't wait to try it in cake form.   Looks amazing.


Do you, like me, have a secret passion for Bounty Bars?  Of course you do - how could anyone not love all that coconut smothered in dark chocolate.?! I'm thinking these homemade "healthified" Bounty Bars from Amanda at another new to me blog, Move Love Eat, could be dangerous, very dangerous indeed.


I don't know about you, but a good lemon tart is pretty much hands-down my favourite dessert, but I'm always a bit nervous about making it.  I think this utterly gorgeous looking Heston Blumethal Lemon Tart from Mairi at Toast just might be the one that helps me overcome my lemon tart fears. 



We've nearly all made the good old pineapple upside down cake at some time or another, haven't we? But how about this luscious looking Upside Down Caramelised Banana Cake from Frances at Bake Club. Now if that doesn't get you licking your lips I don't know what will. 


Lesley at Eat, Etc. always does beautiful baking, frequently serving up things that are a little different to the run of the mill, and often things I haven't come across before. Her gorgeous looking Dutch Ginger Cake this month is no exception


Is there anything better than a seriously decadent chocolate tart?  Well, actually, there just might be if that chocolate tart happened to also have a salted caramel filling!  Yes, you read that right.  I could literally feel my thighs expanding just looking at this gorgeous Chocolate and Salted Caramel Tart from Gillian at So So Simple Food


Is it a muffin? Is it a doughnut? No it's a muffin which masquerades as a doughnut and is filled with jam no less!!  I just couldn't resist sharing these Jam Doughnut Muffins.  Seriously, once these muffins have been bathed in melted butter and then rolled in cinnamon sugar, they really do taste like doughnuts. 


Looking for the perfect little something to go with a cuppa on a wintery afternoon?  Our last entry for the month, this warming Hazelnut Ginger Loaf from Julie at Domestic Executive, could be just this thing. With ground hazelnuts replacing flour and sweet dates replacing molasses, you know this is going to be great on so many levels. 

And now I can't wait to see what you all cook up next month. Amanda at Move Love Eat will be hosting, and I know you'll all share lots of sweetness with her. 

6 comments:

  1. A wonderful round up, Sue. Love many of them, but your beetroot cake and the ginger loaf from Julie are my favourites.
    Happy Weekend!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great roundup Sue and so many things to try. Intriguing to see so many "healthy" options too. Love chocolate beetroot cake, or indeed any other cake with vegetables in. Thanks for being such a great host.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great treasure trove of recipes, love your beetroot cake, I bet it is divine. How nice of you to host an event like this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for hosting Sue, what a beautiful recap, and so many yummy entries!

    Ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great round up Sue, so much sweet deliciousness!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you and your comments are like gold to me. Your comment will be visible as soon as it has been approved.