Sunday, January 5, 2014

Crispy-Skin Miso-Glazed Salmon with Radish & Rocket Salad

Crispy-Skin Miso-Glazed Salmon 1

They say that pride comes before a fall, and I have to say that I'm forced to agree after a recent bout of illness completely knocked me for six, despite my usual smug declarations that "I never get sick".  It was a humbling reminder that even I can succumb when I let what I like to think of as a healthy "work-life balance" get out of balance ... not enough time spent on the yoga mat, too much work and not enough relaxation, and a little too much over-indulgence in "festive fare".  It all took its toll and I hit the wall in a big way.

Thankfully I'm now on the mend, and while a week (or even a day) at the spa would be a wonderful treat right now, that's realistically not an option.  I can however give myself the spa treatment at home - plenty of restorative yoga, a good night's sleep on a regular basis, and plenty of fresh healthy food.

As luck would have it our theme this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs is "Suitable for the Spa!" - Donna Hay dishes which are light and lovely, and healthy too.  In Fast, Fresh, Simple I came across a recipe for Crispy Skin Trout with Watercress & Radish Salad and on the Donna Hay website a recipe for Miso Salmon with Sesame Salt.  Miso and salmon are two of my absolute favourite healthy foods and, with both having the immune system fortifying properties I need right now, I decided on a dish which was a "mix-up" of both recipes.

This was healthy and delicious, and made me feel better just looking at it.  I hope you'll give it a try.

Crispy-Skin Miso-Glazed Salmon 2

Crispy-Skin Miso-Glazed Salmon
with Radish & Rocket Salad
Adapted from recipes by Donna Hay
Serves 2
Click here for a printable copy of this recipe

500g salmon fillet, skin on, pin bones removed, & cut into "fingers"
1 tablespoon miso paste (I used locally grown Urban Hippie miso)
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
sesame seeds
1 tablespoon olive oil

For salad:
large handful (or two) of rocket leaves (arugula)
6x radishes, sliced very thinly (I used a mandoline)
handful of pomegranate seeds

For dressing:
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon mirin
2cm (3/4 inch) piece of fresh ginger, finely grated

In a shallow dish, mix together the miso paste and rice wine vinegar.  Add the salmon, turning to coat well with the marinade.

Set aside to marinate for a few minutes while you prepare the salad dressing.  Whisk together all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.

Heat oil in frying pan set over medium heat.  Add salmon to the pan, skin side down, and cook for several minutes until the skin is golden and crispy.  Turn and cook for a further minute or two until cooked to your liking.  Remove from the pan and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

While salmon is cooking combine salad ingredients and arrange on serving plates.

Place cooked salmon on plates beside the salad, and drizzle dressing over both salad and fish.  Serve immediately.

If you would like to get to know Donna Hay a little better, and to see all the wonderful "spa treatment" food my friends have been cooking up, then do go visit I Heart Cooking Clubs and check out the links.

IHCC Donna Hay Badge resized

I'll also be sharing this post this week at See Ya In the Gumbo hosted by the lovely Michelle at Ms. enPlace, Weekend Cooking hosted by Beth at Beth Fish Reads, and at Foodie Fridays hosted by Designs by Gollam.

See Ya in The Gumbo Badge     Weekend Cooking Badge     Foodie Friday Badge


14 comments:

  1. That looks like exactly what my body needs at the moment! I have salmon, must get miso!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year Sue, and I'm glad you're feeling better.
    Lovely dish....salmon and miso is a great combination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a good salmon recipe and this definitely sounds like a winner! Thanks for sharing :)

    Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
  4. Espectacular una maravilla de receta de salmòn que me llevo a mi cocina ahora mismo,abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear you were sick Sue--I hope you keep feeling better. I loved the miso salmon I made a couple of weeks ago and want to try this version next--it looks fabulous--love that crispy skin. It's such a good pairing and I like how crisp and refreshing the salad looks too. Perfect spa cuisine! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no, Sue. I hate to hear that you were sick and I certainly hope that you are back to feeling like yourself now. I'm so glad to see that someone made a salmon dish this week. I'm not sure I've tried miso before, but I certainly feel inspired to do so. I think this looks absolutely gorgeous and I love that you paired it with such a pretty and complimentary salad. The colors are gorgeous!

    Hope things are getting back to normal after the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year Sue! What a wonderful bright & fresh dish....perfect for this time of year after all the ham, turkey, cheese & wine consumed over the last few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sue,
    Happy New Year!
    Glad to hear that you are OK now.
    This is a lovely and delicious looking dish. And that fresh salad is a perfect match!
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sue, happy new year! So sorry to hear you were ill - from my highly unscientific survey a lot of people were knocked sideways by something (or in my case, two somethings) over the holidays. Glad to hear you are on the mend. I've never been able to truly love Donna Hay, but this looks really beautiful. And isn't it funny that radishes have had such a renaissance? They used to be so uncool! Best wishes for 2014, Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sue. Hope the sickness is behind you by now. The salmon looks just what the doctor has ordered. You are so right about maintaing work-life balance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you're on the mend! Another gorgeous dish from you and Donna Hay!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Salmon has never been my favorite fish. But your picture of your recipe is so beautiful. I've bookmarked this and plan to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We eat salmon quite often and this looks so easy. And the salad looks beautiful on the plate.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you are well now. Great to see you using urban hippie miso. I have some so I am going to try this lovely recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you and your comments are like gold to me. Your comment will be visible as soon as it has been approved.