Thursday, December 5, 2013

Zucchini, Mint & Haloumi Salad

Zucchini, Mint & Haloumi Salad

This week at I Heart Cooking Clubs, we're conjuring up Donna Hay dishes which are "Fast & Fabulous" - dishes which can be made in 30 minutes or less.

This dish definitely fits the bill on both fronts. It could not have been faster - about 20 minutes all up, and that included a visit to the garden to pick a lemon, a few nasturtium flowers and a bunch of fresh mint.  I'd like to say I picked the zucchini as well, but although my zucchini plant is flowering and producing they were not quite ready for picking.

It was also definitely fabulous on many levels ... great textural contrast between the crisp zucchini, velvety spinach leaves, and chewy, melted cheese;  wonderful, robust flavours - bright, herby mint, tangy, sour pomegranate molasses, the sharp saltiness of preserved lemon, and a little bit of heat from the chilli;  and, no slouch in the looks department either - this was a very pretty dish and one which would certainly wow your guests despite the miniscule time spent on it.

I made a few minor changes to the original recipe.  I cut back the pomegranate molasses as it is a strong flavour and I felt the quantity specified was a bit much, and added a little bit of olive oil to help distribute the pomegranate molasses through the salad.  I also added a bit of preserved lemon for a little extra zing.  I will certainly be making this salad many times over this summer, and although this would make a great accompaniment to a bigger meal, I was more than happy to make a meal of it on its own.

Zucchini, Mint & Haloumi Salad 3

Zucchini, Mint & Haloumi Salad Recipe
Adapted from recipe by Donna Hay
Serves 2 as a light meal or appetiser, or
Serves 1 person as a substantial meal
Click here for a printable copy of this recipe

2x small-medium zucchini
large handful of mint leaves, finely shredded
large handful or two of baby spinach leaves
flaky sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
1/4 of a preserved lemon, flesh discarded and skin finely sliced
1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
200g haloumi, thinly sliced
extra virgin olive oil for brushing & drizzling
pinch dried chilli flakes
1x lemon halved

Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat.  Brush haloumi lightly with olive oil on both sides, and sprinkle over dried chilli flakes.  Add haloumi and lemon (cut-side down) to the preheated pan.  Cook the haloumi until golden brown on both sides, by which time the lemon flesh will also be golden and caramelised.

Meanwhile, cut the zucchini into juliennes, and add to a medium sized bowl together with the shredded mint, preserved lemon, pomegranate molasses, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.  Toss gently until everything is combined.

To serve, arrange salad on plates and top with a few slices of the haloumi.  Drizzle with a little extra olive oil and squeeze over the caramelised lemon.

Zucchini, Mint & Haloumi Salad 2

If you would like to get to know Donna Hay a little better, and to see all the wonderful fast and fabulous dishes my friends have come up with, then do go visit I Heart Cooking Clubs and check out the links.

IHCC Donna Hay Badge resized

I'll also be sharing this post this week at See Ya In the Gumbo hosted by the lovely Michelle at Ms. enPlace, Weekend Cooking hosted by Beth at Beth Fish Reads, Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammie) Sundays hosted by my special friend Deb at Kahakai Kitchen, and at Foodie Fridays hosted by Designs by Gollam.

See Ya in The Gumbo Badge     Weekend Cooking Badge     Souper Sundays Badge     Foodie Friday Badge



47 comments:

  1. I try to forget about fried halloumi because I love it so much I'd eat it every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alicia, I could eat it every day. Really is there anything better than making fried cheese the protein of choice to go with any meal?!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I've made this before, it was wonderful! Of course anything with fried haloumi is good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Pam - anything with fried haloumi is wonderful.

      Delete
  3. Haloumi is new-to-me. It looks delicious! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michael. Haloumi is delicious, and well worth looking out for. It's actually also really easy to make if you can't find it.

      Delete
  4. I think this is the one cheese I have yet to experience, but it has been on my bucket list for a very long time. This makes me want to try it soon. We love zucchini at our house, we call it our potato because we have replace potatoes with zucchini and everyone is very, very happy. Pinning this for later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely move it off the bucket list and onto the plate. We love zucchini here too, and I'll be particularly happy in a couple of weeks when we start picking them from the garden on a daily basis.

      Delete
  5. lovely fresh salad and much buy haloumi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rebecca. Definitely put haloumi on the shopping list :-)

      Delete
  6. Lovely salad… nice to see among all the cookie recipes this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane - we can certainly get into cookie and cake overload at this time of year, can't we :-)

      Delete
  7. This is fabulous, I couldn't help but "wow" when I first saw the pictures! I really need to explore Haloumi cheese one of these days. Pinned to Popular Foodie Posts (http://www.pinterest.com/littlejoyfactor/popular-foodie-posts/pinboard).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Joy - that's really kind. I hope you do try haloumi - it really is delicious.

      Delete
  8. You have me craving halloumi! This looks like a fine lunch for me right now. I am taking a break at work and starving! We`are having similar weather, I think. It's 76 F / 24C here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina this would make a great lunch. Funny that we are having similar weather, except that 24C here feels really warm, whereas it probably feels quite chilly to you :-)

      Delete
  9. If only it was 5c and 60mph winds I'd be cooking this up tomorrow. Might have to wait a few months. Looks so fresh and appetising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the fried cheese might be ok, David, but I agreed a light fresh zucchini salad is probably not going to cut it in those kind of conditions :-)

      Delete
  10. Hi Sue,
    This is such an appealing dish! It looks beautiful and delicious! I have to try and get some Haloumi, have seen a few other recipes using Haloumi as well. And nasturtium from the garden, how lovely! My nasturtium seeds which I sowed months ago did not sprout at all, will have to give it another try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you, Joyce. I hope you find some haloumi - it's very delicious and I'm sure you would enjoy it. It's best eaten straight out of the pan, while it's still hot and oozy. Nasturtiums seem to grow like weeds here - in fact, some people do consider them to be weeds. Still they are lovely to have in the garden, and they are delicious in salads.

      Delete
  11. What a beautiful haloumi salad! Love the colour, flavour and presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sue - This is in fact a very stunning dish! Not only is it vibrant and colorful but it is full of wonderful texture as well. Pleasing to both the eye and palate for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. Definitely great flavour and textural contrasts going on here, which seems to typify a lot of Donna's recipes I'm discovering.

      Delete
  13. What a beautiful dish! And with all of those wonderful flavours and textures must taste as good as it looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Zosia - yes, I would say that taste wise this definitely lives up to expectations :-)

      Delete
  14. Caramelized lemon gets my attention--it's actually the first thing I noticed in your picture! Haloumi is something I've always wanted to try, but it is difficult to find here. I even went "to town" and had no luck. The minute I find it, I'm frying it up like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caramelised lemon is really delicious - I use it a lot - my favourite is with a watermelon and feta salad that I make. I've also found that when I serve anything up with a couple of caramelised lemons on the side, people fight over them! Haloumi is delicious - heck what's not to love about fried cheese straight out of the pan?! It is actually pretty easy to make if you can't find it - my lovely friend Alessandra has instructions on her blog which you can find here: http://alessandrazecchini.blogspot.co.nz/2009/10/home-made-halloumi-cheese-and-ricotta.html
      I made some and used it in this Rocket & Cress Salad with Roasted Figs & Haloumi:
      http://couscous-consciousness.blogspot.co.nz/2013/04/rocket-cress-salad-with-roasted-figs.html
      Seriously, if I can make it, anyone can :-)

      Delete
  15. This is my kind of food :-)

    Ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alessandra. I think you would definitely enjoy this one, especially with some of your home made haloumi xo

      Delete
  16. This looks wonderful -- the perfect summer lunch or light dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth - with zucchini season only just starting here, I'm imagining that I will be eating this many more times over the next few months.

      Delete
  17. Buena receta caramelizada me encanta,hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That plate looks absolutely wonderful. I'm hungry now! Preserved lemon is always a great touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cecelia. I agree = preserved lemon is such a wonderful ingredient and adds great flavour to all kinds of things.

      Delete
  19. I have this one tagged to make. i love the combination of ingredients and I like the changes that you made to the recipe. Yay for preserved lemon! ;-) Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb - this one is definitely right up your alley - I know you will love it.

      Delete
  20. I really do need toi find that cheese. It looks so good to use in so many things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you find some, TeaLady - it is great in lots of salads and things, but I have to say that a great big, indulgent slab of it all on its own is pretty darn good too. For a Greek-inspired touch I like to fry it, then pour over a shot of Ouzo and set it alight - makes a great appetiser!

      Delete
  21. I love halloumi and I love absolutely everything about this salad

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your salad looks so tempting. Love haloumi too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a stunningly pretty dish you have created with this recipe...wow. I would love to sit down to this. I have never fried cheese before, and I think after seeing this, I might just need to try doing that. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I loooooooove fried halloumi and I like this combination with zucchini and mint
    This is simply an awesome salad!!
    And it also looks very appetizing :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you and your comments are like gold to me. Your comment will be visible as soon as it has been approved.